Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Let Leaning Trees Lean

Let's see, what is weighing heavily on my mind today? Several things come to mind but I could only write about them if I were writing this blog anonymously. There is an idea. I need to start an anonymous blog. I could really get some things off of my chest.

I'll just share this story since it did happen today. I realize that most ex spouses find it very hard to be civil to one another. Usually the only time they use their nice voices are if the children are present. I'm not sure how it happened, but I am blessed with being around my ex and he around me without either of us having an ounce of bad attitude. So many people ask how do we do it. For me, I heard a speaker about three or four years ago that said, imagine yourself standing and you draw a chalk circle around your feet about the size of a hula hoop. Now write the things that you carry around with you every day that causes you anger, sadness, or any overwhelming emotion. Then decide if you can change any of the situations that cause your mental or emotional stress. If you can't change it, thump it out of your circle. On a daily basis there should be very few things that really matter. The well-being of the ones you love and the well being of yourself. Whenever I start feeling agitated I think about what is causing it and I thump it out of my circle. I honestly do a thump in the air and say it's gone and try not to let it bother me anymore.

Back to today's story. Got up this morning and our dog was gone. There was a loose board on the fence and he found it and pushed through and escaped. After taking my son to school, I came back home and searched and then came home at lunch and searched. Then I called my ex who knew our son would be devastated if anything happened to his dog. So my ex and his wife got on four wheelers and started searching. His wife found Jordan. I met them back at my house. His wife and I talked while my ex fixed the fence. He wasn't fixing the fence for me. He was fixing the fence so our son's dog would not escape again. All three of us knew that and all three of us love that boy. It is just that simple. I appreciated what they did, so I was able to overlook the fact that he backed into one of my trees during the ordeal. Now every time I look at my crooked tree, I'll remember the day they saved Jordan.

May you be able to appreciate a leaning tree, there could be a special story behind it,

Michelle Perkins

No comments: