Sunday, October 5, 2008

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

I sat down an hour or so ago to pay bills. It got a bit overwhelming and my adult on-set ADD kicked in and here I am on the computer. Growing up I would have never thought I was ADD because I stuck with anything I did until it was perfect. Maybe I've just starting losing patience more quickly than years ago which I am misdiagnosing as ADD. I can stick with a football game until the last second ticks off of the clock but I can't think of much else that can hold my attention.

Here's a hint when it starts to kick in and you happen to be talking to me. I inherited this particular trait from my former in-law's side of the family. I am not quite sure who started it, but I know I say it. Now people with whom I work and are around me quite a bit also say it. They blame me for this bad habit. My mom absolutely hates it when I do it. So what is this habit? Well, when you are telling me a story and I think you are giving way too many details and I am past ready for you to get to the meat of the story, I say "yeah, yeah, yeah". Which means, get on with the story. I've mentioned that I was a bullet point kinda girl. Sometimes it would be just fine with me if we could communicate in bullet points. Just give me the facts and try not to get off track. I'm aware that this form of communication seems rude but can you imagine how much time it would save? Say for instance in an office situation you need to ask someone how to do something. You can't just walk up to a person and say, "How do you make a copy?" You have to say, "Hi, how are you?" They say "Fine, how are you?" Then you say, "I hate to bother you, but could you show me how to....?" They say, "Certainly." Now this could go on forever until I finally am shown how to make a copy. By this time, I am hearing blah, blah, blah. This is a major character flaw, I understand. I will make it a mission to work on my patience this week. I wonder how long that will last.

Just get on with it, I certainly will not be offended.

Michelle Perkins

No comments: