Monday, October 6, 2008

Hannah's Epiphany

Today was a busy day. I even washed my car and cleaned it out. It's amazing I had so much energy considering we let the dog try sleeping in the house last night and he decided at 1am it was play time. I went from sound asleep to outside putting the dog in his kennel. I think it only took me about 30 seconds to get back to sleep which was a welcomed surprise.

Hannah's epiphany. My mental health professional friend ventured outside of her thinking comfort zone and came up with a really great idea today. You have to understand how many times she has heard her husband say in the last few months how poorly their stock investments are doing. I know because I have heard him myself a few times moan and groan so multiply that by about 100 and that is how many times I am sure she has heard it. Add to that, the fact that they also have some real estate in other places that have been slow to move. Hannah has moved to a new way of thinking. She has decided that rather than putting any more money in her retirement, she will concentrate on paying down her principle on her mortgage. Due to the length of time she has owned her home, this is a great idea. The majority of the interest was paid in the first years of ownership and now there is not as much interest to write off each year. I do believe she is on to something. Eventually, home prices will make a come back and at that time hers will be free of a lien.

Way to go Hannah. I am so proud of you. In any event, you should always pay a little extra toward your principle. As little as $50 a month can cut years off of a 30-year mortgage.

By they way, "Intervention" was a rerun tonight and so I don't have to flip back and forth from that and the football game.

Just pay $50 more each month,

Michelle Perkins

1 comment:

Misty said...

That's a great idea but remember now is the time to be buying into the market for your retirement. Buy Low!!! And man is it low. I'm sure though it will go even lower.